HR reminders for the company Christmas party
With Thanksgiving over, Florida businesses are turning attention to the Christmas and holiday party or luncheon in December. This annual event is just around the corner and you (Office Manager or HR Coordinator) are probably reviewing last year’s email reminder to employees that communicate the event details, proper attire and general behavior expectations since the event will occur during non-working hours and offsite location. While everyone is looking forward to a good time, HR is thinking ahead and working to make sure the event is safe and enjoyable for all – so here are some important reminders.
- Alcohol consumption creates known risk. Employers can be held liable for employee conduct at company events if the event is considered part of their employment. All parties should be voluntary, not mandatory. Always designate several key employees to keep eyes open at the event, and be prepared to take action is needed.
- Having the event at an eating and drinking establishment is wise because the professionals are now controlling the distribution of alcohol – and not Andy, the good time Shipping Manager. Serve food if alcohol is being served, Employees should avoid serving alcohol at the event.
- If overnight accommodations are not available, make sure the company shares options for Uber. Lyft or taxis for employees that have too much to drink. Often companies include the cost of safe travel as a company perk at this event.
- The company invitation email or memo reminders employees about proper conduct and attire so that in case Randy from Accounting gets a little crazy, the company can show it took reasonable action to protect attendees. This is even more important if the company also invites key customers or vendors to the event.
- If someone does not celebrate Christmas, for personal or religious reasons, there should be no penalty for not attending the party.
- Check with your general liability insurance carrier for other recommendations for your Christmas or holiday party. To minimize liability arising out of the event provider’s negligence, check that the event provider carries General Liability insurance. Check out some additional tips from Hartford Insurance.
With some pre-planning, your event will be successful, enjoyable and without incident. Cheers!
1095C form300 Log401(k)8(a)(1)AccommodationAffordable Care ActAmericans with Disabilities ActArbitrationARPAAuditsBackground screeningBilingualBonusesBusiness ExpensesCannabidiol (CBD)CDCCDLCFPBChild laborCHIP NoticeChristmas partyClearinghouseCOBRACommercial Motor Vehicle DriverCompany CultureCompensationComplianceConcerted ActivityCONNECTConstructionconsultstuConsultstu TeamContagious diseaseCoronavirusCraft BeerDepartment of LaborDirect ThreatDisabilitiesDiscriminationDOTDownsizing and RestructuringDress CodeDriversDrug and AlcoholDrug Free WorkplaceE-VerifyEEO-1 FormEEOCEmployee benefitsEmployee HandbookEmployee IllnessEmployee InjuryEmployee MisconductEmployee PoliciesEmployee RecognitionEmployee ReferralEmployee RightsEmployment PosterERISAEssential functionsExecutive OrderExempt EmployeeExit InterviewFair Credit Reporting ActFair Labor Standards ActFall ProtectionFederal ContractorsFFCRAFinancial Well-beingFitness for DutyFlorida rulesFluencyFMCSAFMLAForm 5500Form W-4Fractional HRGender Non-conformityGeneral HR QuestionsGoal SettingGroup Health InsuranceHarassmentHiringHolidaysHR ComplianceHR CostsHR ResourcesHR softwareHuman ResourcesHuman TraffickingI9 FormImmigrationIndependent ContractorIndividualized AssessmentInjury StatisticsInsuranceInvestigationsIRSITAJob DescriptionJob PostJoint EmployerK1Leave of AbsenceLeaving a PEOManagerMedical ExamsMedical MarijuanaMinimum WageMoraleNational OriginNew HireNLRBNo-match letterNon-complete AgreementsOnboardingOpioidsOSHAOutplacementOvertimePaid LeavePay CardsPay or PlayPaycheck Protection ProgramPayrollPayroll Protection ProgramPerformance Improvement PlanPerformance ReviewPersonnel FilePost offer medical questionnairePostersPregnancyPublix Immigration CertificationReasonable AccomodationRecall LetterRecord KeepingRecruitingReligionRestaurantsResumeRetaliationRetentionRetirementRewardsRisk ManagementSafetySalaried employeesSBASection 7 RightsSelf AppraisalSick LeaveSMART goalsSocial MediaSocial Security cardStart upTaxesTemporary EmployeeTerminationTipped EmployeesTitle VIITPD BenefitsTrainingUnemploymentUniformsUSCISVaccinesW2W4Wage and HourWellness programWork from HomeWorkers CompensationWorkplace MonitoringWrap Plans
Show Less Categories
Need on-going HR support?
We have affordable HR retainers that offer a unique alternative to full HR outsourcing or the hiring of a full time HR employee. We design unique solutions to match your business strategy and budget. We have a proven track record of helping companies from many industries. We listen and probe to understand your needs and goals, before we offer recommendations and realistic solutions.