On Jan. 31, 2020, USCIS published a notice announcing a new version of Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification. The new version contains minor changes to the form and its instructions. Employers should begin using this updated form right away. Click here for the latest I9 Form (expires 2022) and Instructions.
The USCIS notice provides employers additional time to make necessary updates and adjust their business processes. Employers may continue using the prior version of the form (dated 07/17/2017 N) until April 30, 2020. Starting May 1, 2020, all employers must use only the new form (10/21/2019 version date). The version date is located in the lower-left corner of the form.
- Clarified who can act as an authorized representative on behalf of an employer
- Updated USCIS website addresses
- Provided clarifications on acceptable documents for Form I-9
- Updated the process for requesting paper Forms I-9
- Updated the DHS Privacy Notice
Click here for the Handbook for Employers for Properly Completing the Form I9.