The vast majority of small family businesses and new businesses start up without a dedicated HR person, much less an HR department. And that makes perfect sense … to a point.
As the owner of a fledgling business, handling HR matters is probably not only manageable, but educational and even gratifying. Your business is your baby, and there isn’t any part of it you don’t want to be touched by your own two hands. If it weren’t for confidentiality obligations, you’d put the W-4’s of your first employees in a frame and hang it on the wall as a milestone!
As you build the framework of services, products, relationships, and culture that will define your company, you begin to feel that you’ve got a handle on being an employer of human beings. Or maybe more accurately, you know how to handle a few employees (including family and friends). As the employee situations come up, you swat them aside and make one-on-one deals to keep things working. Because you know that the biggest statistical threat to a young small business is funding and cash flow, you favor money-saving DIY solutions for payroll, recruiting, hiring, record-keeping, etc. And it seems to work.
Your business grows in size, and there are compliance responsibilities that must be addressed. Here is a small example. Depending on your business type, your 10 employee company may be required to record employee injury cases on the OSHA 300 log and post it annually for employees to see. Additionally, when you hit twenty employees, your industry code (NAICS) may mandate that your injury data be reported to OSHA on its new website. Do you know your federal NAICS code? There are dozens of HR and safety-related matters that can result in fines, penalties and lawsuits for your business. Did you know that HR and safety can be handled without having to hire full-time employee or hiring a professional employer organization?
Typical Consultstu fractional HR services include:
- Initial HR and safety assessment to identify your federal and state compliance requirements.
- Feedback on new hire forms and written employment policies.
- Update Employee Handbook.
- Developing drug free workplace policies.
- Personnel file review.
- I9 audits.
- Recommend (and implement) HR practices to minimize employment risk and employment costs.
- Clients alerts when laws change and new rules are created.
- Monitor unemployment claims.
- Create and track OSHA 300 logs.
- Set up streamlined HR processes.
- Reviewing resumes and candidates.
- Send new, updated state and federal employment posters, as needed.
- Investigate employee complaints and grievances.
- Employment training (harassment and EEO).
- Discuss HR strategy and needed solutions to meet your business needs.
- Safety manuals.
- FMLA procedures and employee packets.
- Exit interviews.
Fractional HR is being able to outsource your minimal HR needs to HR experts, without hiring any bodies. Unlike an all-or-nothing PEO, we conform our services to YOU. Consultstu can provide as much or as little HR guidance as you actually need, right now. The best value is becoming a monthly retainer client, to receive a pre-established customized level of ongoing support. This includes us always being available to you for HR questions, and client alerts to keep you informed of new regulatory forms and rules. If an unexpected situation arises — for example, you receive a harassment complaint that needs to be properly investigated — we can easily ramp up “HR on Demand” to assist you, on an hourly or special project basis. When you let us handle your HR headaches, you can relieve stress, free up time, connect with customers and get back to loving your business again.