Employee Name Change Checklist for Human Resources
If your employee has reported that they have legally changed their name, here are the items you will want to review and make sure are updated.
- Request that the employee complete a name change form, or complete an HR employee change form, or maintain the email request from the employee about their name change.
- Request and copy their new social security card, or judicial order document, that officially changes their name. A name must be legally changed in order to change the name in payroll and with benefits. To avoid mismatches at the SSA, keep the employee’s former name in your payroll system until they update it with the Social Security Administration and provide you with proof via their Social Security card.
- Have the employee complete a new W-4 to ensure their name and Social Security Number will match on their W-2.
- Although not required, the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) recommends that you note the name change on Supplement B (new I9 form), but it’s not required.
- Update your employee records system and notify your payroll processor.
- Notify the IT Department so that computer, email and phone extension are updated.
- Update Org Chart (unless it is automatically made in the payroll system) and update the phone directory, if not connected to payroll system.
- Update benefits admin system (or make changes with the carriers directly) to reflect the new name (health and welfare, as well as retirement plan).
- Depending on the reason for the name change, the employee may also need to make midyear changes to their benefits if there are updates to their family status and dependents.
1095C form300 Log401(k)8(a)(1)AccommodationAffordable Care ActAmericans with Disabilities ActArbitrationARPAAuditsBackground screeningBilingualBonusesBusiness ExpensesCannabidiol (CBD)CDCCDLCFPBChild laborCHIP NoticeChristmas partyClearinghouseCOBRACommercial Motor Vehicle DriverCompany CultureCompensationComplianceConcerted ActivityCONNECTConstructionconsultstuConsultstu TeamContagious diseaseCoronavirusCraft BeerDepartment of LaborDirect ThreatDisabilitiesDiscriminationDOTDownsizing and RestructuringDress CodeDriversDrug and AlcoholDrug Free WorkplaceE-VerifyEEO-1 FormEEOCEmployee benefitsEmployee HandbookEmployee IllnessEmployee InjuryEmployee MisconductEmployee PoliciesEmployee RecognitionEmployee ReferralEmployee RightsEmployment PosterERISAEssential functionsExecutive OrderExempt EmployeeExit InterviewFair Credit Reporting ActFair Labor Standards ActFall ProtectionFederal ContractorsFFCRAFinancial Well-beingFirearmFitness for DutyFlorida rulesFluencyFMCSAFMLAForm 5500Form W-4Fractional HRGender Non-conformityGeneral HR QuestionsGoal SettingGroup Health InsuranceHarassmentHiringHolidaysHR ComplianceHR CostsHR ResourcesHR softwareHuman ResourcesHuman TraffickingI9 FormImmigrationIndependent ContractorIndividualized AssessmentInjury StatisticsInsuranceInvestigationsIRSITAJob DescriptionJob PostJoint EmployerK1Leave of AbsenceLeaving a PEOManagerMedical ExamsMedical MarijuanaMinimum WageMoraleNational OriginNew HireNLRBNo-match letterNon-complete AgreementsOnboardingOpioidsOSHAOutplacementOvertimePaid LeavePay CardsPay or PlayPaycheck Protection ProgramPayrollPayroll Protection ProgramPerformance Improvement PlanPerformance ReviewPersonnel FilePost offer medical questionnairePostersPregnancyPublix Immigration CertificationReasonable AccomodationRecall LetterRecord KeepingRecruitingReligionRemote employeesRestaurantsResumeRetaliationRetentionRetirementRewardsRisk ManagementSafetySalaried employeesSBASection 7 RightsSelf AppraisalSick LeaveSMART goalsSocial MediaSocial Security cardStart upTaxesTemporary EmployeeTerminationTipped EmployeesTitle VIITPD BenefitsTrainingUnemploymentUniformsUSCISVaccinesW2W4Wage and HourWellness programWork from HomeWorkers CompensationWorkplace MonitoringWrap Plans
Show Less Categories
Need on-going HR support?
We have affordable HR retainers that offer a unique alternative to full HR outsourcing or the hiring of a full time HR employee. We design unique solutions to match your business strategy and budget. We have a proven track record of helping companies from many industries. We listen and probe to understand your needs and goals, before we offer recommendations and realistic solutions.