Coronavirus Guidance for Florida Employers
Due to the spread of Coronavirus, President Trump and Florida Governor Ron DeSantis have declared a state of emergency and are asking employers to monitor the situation and take action to help slow and stop the spread of COVID-19. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued interim guidance to businesses and employers and will update as needed and when new information becomes available. We encourage clients to check the CDC webpage and develop plans to follow these important recommendations.
HERE IS A QUICK RUNDOWN OF THE RECOMMENDED STRATEGIES FOR EMPLOYERS TO USE NOW:
- The incubation period for COVID-19 varies between 2 and 14 days.
- Actively encourage sick employees to stay home from work.
- Employees showing respiratory illness should be sent home and told to contact the Florida Health Department at 850-245-4444 or the local health department.
- Educate employees about COVID-19 by sharing the CDC Fact Sheets and information pages on “Symptoms” and “If you are Sick.”
- Print CDC posters about washing hands, cough and sneeze etiquette and maintaining good personal hygiene for display.
- Perform enhanced environmental cleaning of common surfaces, such as work stations, countertops, and doorknobs.
- Make disinfecting wipes and hand sanitizer available to employees.
- Consider developing an interim company policy for business travel, including canceling business travel, encouraging online/remote enabled meetings and avoiding geographic places with high concentrations of COVID-19 cases.
- Maintain employee confidentiality if there is a positive or suspected COVID-19 case. Inform co-workers who worked in close contact with the person (3-6 feet in the preceding 14 days) to leave work for 14 days and to get tested. Do not disclose the name of the person.
- Practice increased social distancing when possible, including work from home options and telecommuting.
- Review the recent DOL guidance on OSHA and wage and hour issues associated with the coronavirus outbreak.
If an employee becomes infected, has a suspected case, or was in close contact with a person with a confirmed case, have a plan to take action. Read the following article on Comprehensive FAQs for Employers on COVID-19 published from Fisher Phillips law firm.
- Check frequently with the CDC and Florida Department of Health (COVID) websites for updates and the latest recommendations.
1095C form300 Log401(k)8(a)(1)AccommodationAffordable Care ActAmericans with Disabilities ActArbitrationARPAAuditsBackground screeningBilingualBonusesBusiness ExpensesCannabidiol (CBD)CDCCDLCFPBChild laborCHIP NoticeChristmas partyClearinghouseCOBRACommercial Motor Vehicle DriverCompany CultureCompensationComplianceConcerted ActivityCONNECTConstructionconsultstuConsultstu TeamContagious diseaseCoronavirusCraft BeerDepartment of LaborDirect ThreatDisabilitiesDiscriminationDOTDownsizing and RestructuringDress CodeDriversDrug and AlcoholDrug Free WorkplaceE-VerifyEEO-1 FormEEOCEmployee benefitsEmployee HandbookEmployee IllnessEmployee InjuryEmployee MisconductEmployee PoliciesEmployee RecognitionEmployee ReferralEmployee RightsEmployment PosterERISAEssential functionsExecutive OrderExempt EmployeeExit InterviewFair Credit Reporting ActFair Labor Standards ActFall ProtectionFederal ContractorsFFCRAFinancial Well-beingFitness for DutyFlorida rulesFluencyFMCSAFMLAForm 5500Form W-4Fractional HRGender Non-conformityGeneral HR QuestionsGoal SettingGroup Health InsuranceHarassmentHiringHolidaysHR ComplianceHR CostsHR ResourcesHR softwareHuman ResourcesHuman TraffickingI9 FormImmigrationIndependent ContractorIndividualized AssessmentInjury StatisticsInsuranceInvestigationsIRSITAJob DescriptionJob PostJoint EmployerLeave of AbsenceLeaving a PEOManagerMedical ExamsMedical MarijuanaMinimum WageMoraleNational OriginNew HireNLRBNo-match letterNon-complete AgreementsOnboardingOpioidsOSHAOutplacementOvertimePaid LeavePay CardsPay or PlayPaycheck Protection ProgramPayrollPayroll Protection ProgramPerformance Improvement PlanPerformance ReviewPersonnel FilePost offer medical questionnairePostersPregnancyPublix Immigration CertificationReasonable AccomodationRecall LetterRecord KeepingRecruitingReligionRestaurantsResumeRetaliationRetentionRetirementRewardsRisk ManagementSafetySalaried employeesSBASection 7 RightsSelf AppraisalSick LeaveSMART goalsSocial MediaSocial Security cardStart upTaxesTemporary EmployeeTerminationTipped EmployeesTitle VIITPD BenefitsTrainingUnemploymentUniformsUSCISVaccinesW2W4Wage and HourWellness programWork from HomeWorkers CompensationWorkplace MonitoringWrap Plans
Show Less Categories
Need on-going HR support?
We have affordable HR retainers that offer a unique alternative to full HR outsourcing or the hiring of a full time HR employee. We design unique solutions to match your business strategy and budget. We have a proven track record of helping companies from many industries. We listen and probe to understand your needs and goals, before we offer recommendations and realistic solutions.