Now that we have closed out 2020, and started 2021, its time for Human Resources/Payroll to take some important year-end actions to ensure a smooth transition into 2021. Consultstu has created a 10 point HR Checklist to ensure your Company is up to date with fast-changing federal/state rules and regulations.
- Update your Applicant New Hire packet with 2021 forms.
- Replace W4 with 2021 W4 version (review the new 2021 form)
- Ensure current Form I9 is being used (shows expiration date of 2022)
- If used, update the DOL Healthcare Exchange form (mandated by ACA) with current group health insurance renewal information (contribution cost and eligibility) on page 2 of the form.
- Post the 2021 Florida Minimum Wage poster (effective 1/1/2021) (watch for news about the Florida Constitutional Amendment raising the minimum wage to $15 by 2026).
- Decide if the company will voluntarily extend the FFCRA COVID related paid benefits through March 31, 2021. If yes, keep the FFCRA poster up and process eligible employees (and submit for tax credits); otherwise, take down FFCRA poster.
- Update Hiring process – After 1/1/21, keep copies of documents used for Form I9 completion, or sign up to use E-Verify (new FL law change)
- Handbook review and update
- Employee count increase/decrease? Policy changes?
- Update COVID safety guidelines to include CDC updates (i.e symptom-based return to work and reduced quarantine period.
- Review and update 2021 observed holiday schedule and post for employees.
- (If applicable) Add any final OSHA 300 log cases to the 2020 form, and prepare the OSHA 300A Summary for posting on February 1 through April 30. Companies in higher hazard industries will also report summary case data via OSHA’s ITA website in March 2021.
- Construction companies should request new certificates of insurance forms from current subcontractors. Sign up for the Florida Construction Policy tracker database (click new registration).
- (Voluntary) – send a copy of 2021 W4 to existing employees to see if they want to make any changes to federal tax withholding.
- Review I9 binder/folder and purge old I9s (retention rule is a minimum of 3 years of 1 year after termination, whatever is longer).
If you have questions or want help getting up to date, just give us a call at (727) 350-0370.